Would you like to shave just a few more seconds from your lap pace? Or to improve your golf swing? Or maybe you just need that extra mental edge to pass the next competitor… and the next… and the next… all the way to the finish line!
One of the most common questions we get asked is, “can hypnosis help improve my game?”
Our answer is, “YES! And, often quickly!”*
Our clients typically report improved control over the unwanted behaviors that prevent them from performing at their peak (e.g. fear of failure, negative self-talk, excessive worry, etc.) after only one session.* Using a powerful, interactive and fun process of hypnosis our therapist guides the client to the appropriate level (depth) of hypnosis for the presenting problem through a series of suggestions. Once at the appropriate level of hypnosis, the client’s subconscious mind is optimally open and receptive to the combination of positive suggestions co-created by the therapist and the client during the intake portion of the session. Because hypnotherapy occurs on the level of the subconscious mind, change is often more dramatic, noticeable and permanent then when the conscious mind is engaged.
Sports performance hypnosis to improve your game offers the following benefits that may help you better handle the factors that would otherwise negatively affect your sporting performance. Hypnosis:
- • contributes to relaxation, allowing athletes to better handle nervousness
- • increases concentration, providing the ability to eliminate distractions
- • assists with pain management
- • increases motivation1
- • improves bodily awareness2
- • reinforces established performance goals
Most clients eliminate their old, self-sabotaging, performance limiting behaviors after only four or five sessions.
Hypnosis has been used by some of the most elite athletes – Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan and the entire Chicago Bulls basketball team, to name just a few – for promoting consistent, outstanding performance under pressure.
In fact, research has specifically demonstrated hypnosis to enhance basketball skills,3 to improve golf performance, 4 and to benefit long-distance running5, 6 and archery performance7.
If you or someone you know wants an effective, natural and proven way to improve the game with hypnosis, please call 571-295-7371 to setup a consultation.**
- Paccagnella, Michelle (2004). “Demystifying sports hypnosis”. Sports Coach 27 (1).
2. Robazza, Claudio; Bortoli, Laura (1994). “Hypnosis in sport: An isomorphic model”. Perceptual and Motor Skills 79 (2): 963–973. doi:10.2466/pms.1918.104.22.1683.
3. Vasquez, B. L. (December 2005). “The effects of hypnosis on flow and in the performance enhancement of basketball skills”. College of Education, Washington State University. pp. 1–145.
4. Pates, John; Oliver, Rachael; Maynard, Ian (2001). “The effects of hypnosis on flow states and golf-putting performance”. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 13 (4). pp. 341–354. doi:10.1080/104132001753226238.
5. Callen, K.E. (1983). “Auto-Hypnosis in long distance runners”. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis 26 (1): 30–36. doi:10.1080/00029157.1983.10404135.
6. Jump up^ William P., Morgan (2002). “Hypnosis in sport and exercise psychology”. In Van Raalte, Judy L.; Brewer, Britton W. Exploring sport and exercise psychology (2nd ed.). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association, xxiii, 561 pp. pp. 151–181.
7. Robazza, Claudio; Bortoli, Laura (December 1995). “A case study of improved performance in archery using hypnosis”. Perceptual and Motor Skills 81 (3f): 1364–1366.doi:10.2466/pms.1995.81.3f.1364.
*Results may vary.
**We recommend you always seek the advice of a licensed mental health or medical provider prior to starting any new treatment plan or with any questions regarding your medical or mental health condition. Our providers neither diagnose nor treat mental health or medical conditions, nor do they provide counseling or medical care. Please be aware our services are meant to supplement, not substitute for the care provided by your licensed mental health or medical provider.